Skip to main content

Writing and Editing tip

Because I mentioned this to my editor, I thought I would mention is on my blog as well since I know a lot of you are aspiring writers, established, or otherwise.

There are times when writing, that I find myself working sluggishly through a part of my books. I did this quite a bit with Always Consequences before I learned to fix the hinterdoo that I'm going to tell you about.

I also do this when I edit, not just when I am writing, but it makes the writing go much faster. I've noticed that more often than not, I hear authors overwriting, then coming back to remove details. I am the total opposite, which I thought was weird at first, but now I realize my difference in this millionth subject, is a strength.

I am impatient. Naturally, I have impatient characters. Anyone who has read Dark Ilusions will assume what it's like to deal with Kat on a daily basis while writing. Tapping her little foot, telling me, "Come on, come on. I don't have all day. Who care what color the rug is, I want to tell you the rest." Coincidentally I do it to my brother, too so she and I understand each other.

If brother is telling me a story, I say, "chop, chop, I don't care why they did what, finish the story so I can go make dinner." I am a nice little sister. Best. Ever. I know this. I am a good listener, I just get annoyed with his stories dragging on and on when I have to go make dinner. I sound awesome to live with.

Anyhoo, yes, I'm draggin it out.

Here is your tip:

When you're writing, instead of detailing every single last bit of hair, skin, clothing, and color, or detail. Stop. Just write MORE HERE or, as I've done in editing, I will jot a note saying, "Add more detail," sometimes, "increase action." But when writing specifically, if you're finding yourself moving at a slow pace and trying to get each detail correct before moving on, but your characters are beginning to stop talking to you, just stop that. Add a simple note, even leaving an entire scene with a nice Insert Action Scene

It doesn't have to be something huge. If you need a bit more detail to the note, go for it. If you don't, write whatever works for you. I sometimes just need MORE and that's it. I get specific if I worry that I may forget what "more" I wanted, which is when I'll detail it "more action," but overall, I find that I work better that way. 

Most important: write and finish the story. 

The true book doesn't show its face until you're in editing anyway. If you're finding too many scenes going that route, you should try to focus on the writing, but if it's just a few minor places here and there, it doesn't hurt to leave details out and then add later. That is the way I do it and maybe it can help you.

I am definitely a "lack of details" girl. Even in my book reports, I remember teachers marking me for that. They'd note "more info" and then mark me down. I never knew about editing before so little Ariana should have figured that out a loooongg time ago, but then my teachers adored me so that was okay. :p

I attribute that to my reserved and quiet nature as even my best friend would get onto me about my lack of telling stuff. Only now in edits have I learned to add more detail to my work, and I find it helps me when I'm writing, just knowing that later on, my brain will figure it out.

That's also why I don't worry about it too much while writing. After you're done writing, you may come up with something far better that you would've had to write over anyway. Never know. 

Hope this helps.

Below is a picture of what it looks like in actual MS. This is the 4th draft (I think I said 3rd to editor, but I wrote it, then 2x edited, now going over again so yeah, that makes four) and I still haven't added in. I will. Later on. So you don't have to get to it until it feels right, and you really think of something good, too.

Proof is in the pudding.
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentlemen….

Normally, right about now, I would feel inclined to continue with “and children of all ages” (guess I’ve been to the circus just one time too many) but this time instead of introducing some dancing bears or the Flying Wallendas, I’m simply here to introduce myself. My name is Tracie Dee . I’ve been writing for about 4 years now and got my start blogging on MySpace. I love writing but these days, I’m also finding enjoyment with vlogging. I have found that videos are a nice way to share what words alone might not give justice to and also for people to really get to know the person behind the words and the keyboard. Overall, I consider myself to be a pretty down to earth and upbeat person, whose sense of humor can be a bit wacky at times. Hey, life can be rough and sometimes laughter and levity can be our only saving grace to help us get through it all. I consider it to be our very own little light at the end of the tunnel that serves to remind us that even during the very worst

(GBE 2:Blog On) First Love

Old post being reposted. GBE2: Blog On's Topic this week is: First Love Click the link to find out what GBE2: Blog On is and how YOU can participate. If you love writing and/or blogging, it's the place to go! Great people, great fun, what more could you ask for? FIRST LOVE When I first saw the topic for this week's GBE2, my first thought was of the friendship I walked away from just last week. He was one of my first love's. But I had already talked about it on a previous web post so I wanted something different. I just didn't want to focus on it. Today, while I was doing dishes, a.k.a inspiring myself, I thought of a different first love. To myself. I do too. I love myself. I may not always like myself... I mean come on, if you had to live with her 24/7 she might drive you batty too. But I do love myself. People can tell you so. I don't need to. Well I did, but... I'm digressing. I'm quirky, crazy (two different things there obbb

The Blogging Lounge Prompt #1 January 8, 2014

When you've posted, you're welcome to come back here and share those links in the comments below. I will participate the same way and link my post (if I do one for the prompt) in the comments below. Though those of you who follow this blog, will get the blog post as normal, in the email, on this site, however you follow.  Feel free to save and share the image above. It's a square, which makes sharing on Instagram much easier. :) I can't wait to see how this inspires you. Join the Facebook Group and share the links within as well.