Skip to main content

Bucket Lists

"Its never too late to be what you might have been" – George Eliot


I’ve been a late bloomer in pretty much every aspect of my life. Some of it was out of my control (I mean I really couldn’t help if Mother Nature has a twisted sense of humor and exercised it heavily on me during my teens and twenties) but I can’t put all of the blame for it on her, either. Some of it was also by my personal choice. And by that, I mean I used to be very shy and afraid of “what was out there” in the big, scary world so I would rarely try anything new or took any chances of any kind. I chose instead to do my best to hide away from life, tucking myself away from it safely like a tight little rosebud that had not yet bloomed.

But there is a quote that says “And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” This was the case for me. As time went on, my rosebud shell grew more and more uncomfortable for me. So one day I just took a chance and pushed aside a petal or two to take a peek at what was going on outside of my safe little bud. When I did, I was amazed at what I saw and how I felt. At last I had found the courage I needed to take a risk on myself and that big scary world outside and started to take on the task of blooming.

It’s been awhile now since I took that first step to leave that ol’ bud of mine behind me but even so, I still strive to blossom and grow in other ways whenever the opportunity presents itself. I’ve created a bucket list of sorts for myself , made up of challenges to meet, both big and small. I’ve included everything from simply trying new foods to trying new experiences. In my ongoing quest towards “Blossomville”, I’ve learned that most stuff you try even just once wont kill ya…… but then again that also depends on what you want to try. I mean if you attempt to become the queen of multitasking and try to make yourself some toast and dry your hair while relaxing in your bathtub loaded up with Mr. Bubbles….. that might be a problem. 

(Although it still might not actually kill ya, it might put a bit of damper on accomplishing the rest of your list, yanno?)

I’m proud and happy to say that the accomplished challenges section of my bucket list is coming along quite nicely so far, but I have much more to go…..and isn’t that what makes for a really good bucket list anyway? Just as you cross of some of your met goals...start adding some new ones ASAP!  I can think of only one thing sadder than an empty bucket list….. and that would be a full one that goes unattempted.

Regret is hard to live with. When we take the time to look back over our lives, what we often regret the most are the things we never tried as opposed to the things we have. We learn through experience and every new one (whether good or bad) helps us to grow emotionally, in knowledge, and in our overall confidence level. Sometimes experience really IS the best teacher. So give yourself permission to go out on a limb once in awhile. Give yourself the chance to one day look back on your life with a smile and a sense of pride and say “OMG…I actually DID that??”  If you haven’t already, why not start scratching some things off of your bucket list today? Take some advice from George Eliot. It’s never too late. And there is no time like the present to start.

My most recent bucket list challenge that I met was walking in the annual Easter Parade on 5th avenue in Manhattan for the very first time this past Easter. It was so much fun and I’m so glad I tried it. If you would like to join me in my experience, please check out my video below.

Until next time everybody…ta ta and toodles!
Tracie Dee







Comments

  1. Great work, Tracie! And an inspiration to those of us just getting the nerve up to do those things we've been putting off for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know where my comment went. Great job. I loved the little girl. Oh my goodness, totally precious! And the guy with the green beard was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evelyn @ My Turn for usMay 1, 2014 at 3:14 PM

    Awesome reminder for all of us:). I am in my fifties and still have a bucketful of dreams and goals that I am working to enjoy and achieve. As soon as I achieve one I usually add more. Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going out on a limb is so scary but, that is what my husband and I have been doing a lot of lately. We figure we have to make things happen for ourselves. Great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome message, Tracie! You are an inspiration to me. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I for one, am glad you chose to not remain tight in a bud anymore. Well played

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally got to watch the video at work (my computer sound at home is messed up) and that was a lot of fun. And at the point where you remarked about people taking your photos you were so cute! A bundle of energy released! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Johnny. It's taken me years to get brave enough to try new things. But I'm having so much fun now that I have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Ariana. That little girl was truly the belle of the parade (for me at least). And I was stunned to see that green bearded guy there. I go to the Coney Island Mermaid parade every year (it's their kick off to summer) abd I always see him there. I thought he was a Coney exclusive. Guess I was wrong, LOL. But he also always has his little poodle with him, who is also all dressed up for the occasion. I couldn't get him in my shot. Better luck next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The great thing about a bucket list is they can be created ANY time in our lives. In fact, I think they might even be better to have when we reach certain points in our lives because perhaps it's at those times we might be more open to trying the new things on it, or might need a little "life boost" that they provide. Congrats on your bucket list achievements. May you have many more to come! :) Thanks so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The saying goes "It's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil". It used to be hard for me to speak up or draw any kind of attention to myself, but I learned over time that it was often the only way I was going to get things done or get anywhere. It's good that you and your husband have one another for support. It's much easier to face scary things when you have someone by your side instead of facing them alone. I wish you both the best of luck in achieving what you want :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. As you are to me, Ron. Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Mike. Believe me...I am, too. Thank you for reading and commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ron, that parade was better then I ever expected it would be. It was such a nice gathering of really nice people, all just having fun and sharing a beautiful day together. I have no idea why it doesn't get more coverage or recognition. And yes.....I was VERY thrilled when I was asked to have my pic taken. I felt honored :) Thanks for watching my video.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentlemen….

Normally, right about now, I would feel inclined to continue with “and children of all ages” (guess I’ve been to the circus just one time too many) but this time instead of introducing some dancing bears or the Flying Wallendas, I’m simply here to introduce myself. My name is Tracie Dee . I’ve been writing for about 4 years now and got my start blogging on MySpace. I love writing but these days, I’m also finding enjoyment with vlogging. I have found that videos are a nice way to share what words alone might not give justice to and also for people to really get to know the person behind the words and the keyboard. Overall, I consider myself to be a pretty down to earth and upbeat person, whose sense of humor can be a bit wacky at times. Hey, life can be rough and sometimes laughter and levity can be our only saving grace to help us get through it all. I consider it to be our very own little light at the end of the tunnel that serves to remind us that even during the very worst

Silent relaxing sunday--wait it's Saturday. A day lost and found! :)

This week's   GBE   is about "Lost and Found." I know a lot of people some years back thought that I'd lost myself. I was even told it was the better part of myself. It took me years to figure out that it wasn't true. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I always believed it to be true. Until I finally had the courage to admit to myself, that they were in the wrong; not me.  That's the problem with some "friends." They aren't really your friends. Someone recently told me something that really hit home. It was profound even.  She said:  "The friend is not a friend. just a person with emotional gravity in your life."    Well that's true. Granted, the comment she had made was from a completely different happening, but still it works.  A lot of people are fortunate in having tons of close friends, even close friends that stick around their entire lifetime. I gave up on that notion a long time ago. I realized that mostly, friends w