Skip to main content

Vanilla Granola

I would love to take complete credit for this granola, but I'm afraid I can't. I mix and match parts of it (i.e. to use walnuts in place of mixed nuts, pancake syrup in place of real maple syrup [only because we never have real maple syrup]) but I found this recipe online somewhere years ago and I've been addicted ever since to it. It's very simple to make. I usually make a double batch (just double every single item) and use 2 cookie sheets so that I can make an extra bunch of it. I usually go through it within one month, more if I don't cook dinner at night some times and use this for my dinner. 

It's also great to top oatmeal with this granola, or ice cream. Some times you can even use it on top of yogurt, or anything else you may enjoy using this with! The best part of this granola? Is how your house smells during and after you've made it!

Now since I always end up with needing to use substitutions, I'll asterisk a lot of the items and tell you what I use to substitute. This is a very flexible recipe! You can even change the vanilla extract (base flavor) to orange, almond, or lemon flavoring. Even maple! 

ETA (5-2014): Another recipe at the bottom. This is one that I use all the time.


 Vanilla Granola



 Preheat oven to 375*

Ingredients:   

          3 1/2 cup oats (old-fashioned)
          1/2 sweetened shredded coconut
          3 Tbsp Sesame Seeds*
          1/4 cup Sunflower/Pumpkin Seeds*
          1/2 cup toasted mixed nuts**, chopped (just slightly, depends on how big you'd like the pieces)
          2 tsp. cinnamon
          1 tsp. sea salt
          1/4 cup light brown sugar***
          1/4 cup oil
          2 Tbsp honey****
          1 Tbsp pure maple syrup*****
          2 tsp. pure vanilla extract (regular imitation is fine)
          2 cup dried fruits bits (cut up to your size you wish) and/or chocolate bits (I usually don't use either, but if you do wait until after you've cooked the granola to mix these)

*I rarely have these on hand, so I choose the sesame seeds to use, but you can omit these both if you don't have them, or double the amounts. All about your personal preference.
**I usually only have, and like, walnuts, and prefer a little more than this recipe calls for. Sometimes 'll even toast them before placing in the granola to cook. Lends different flavors.
***Substitute for the light brown sugar is the same amount in white sugar plus 1 1/2 Tbsp molasses (or in my case, maple pancake syrup)
****Substitute for the honey, I will just use the same amount in corn syrup as well if I absolutely have to
*****Substitute as I never usually have real maple syrup is using maple pancake syrup (my typical on hand is Mrs. Butterworth's) Still fine!

Directions:

Get a large bowl (really large if you double the recipe). Mix all ingredients in bowl. I've found it best to simply follow the recipe from top to bottom and then to mix it up, I get my hands in there and knead it all together. That way it just ensures all the syrups are mixed throughout really well so that there aren't any areas with more syrup and others not so much.

(Remember: don't add the chocolate and fruit if you plan on using it until after cooking.)
         
Line a 13x9 cookie sheet with aluminum foil, and if inclined, spray lightly with oil spray (just helps you remove granola after cooking, but I rarely remember to do it and have had no problems removing the granola because of the oil in recipe prevents it from sticking if you remove it soon enough) and pour granola onto foil. Try to even it out. If you've doubled the recipe you'll just need to do the same to another cookie sheet and divide the granola in half.


Place in the 375* oven for just about 20 minutes. Since I usually have twice the amount, I will lower one of the oven racks (so they are both nearly in the center) and then simply place both cookie sheets in the oven, switching the one on top with the one on bottom 10 minutes through the cooking for more even cooking of the granola.


Cool. Add chocolate and fruit if you've decided to include it. Place into a airtight jar and use as you wish.


Enjoy!

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentlemen….

Normally, right about now, I would feel inclined to continue with “and children of all ages” (guess I’ve been to the circus just one time too many) but this time instead of introducing some dancing bears or the Flying Wallendas, I’m simply here to introduce myself. My name is Tracie Dee . I’ve been writing for about 4 years now and got my start blogging on MySpace. I love writing but these days, I’m also finding enjoyment with vlogging. I have found that videos are a nice way to share what words alone might not give justice to and also for people to really get to know the person behind the words and the keyboard. Overall, I consider myself to be a pretty down to earth and upbeat person, whose sense of humor can be a bit wacky at times. Hey, life can be rough and sometimes laughter and levity can be our only saving grace to help us get through it all. I consider it to be our very own little light at the end of the tunnel that serves to remind us that even during the very worst

(GBE 2:Blog On) First Love

Old post being reposted. GBE2: Blog On's Topic this week is: First Love Click the link to find out what GBE2: Blog On is and how YOU can participate. If you love writing and/or blogging, it's the place to go! Great people, great fun, what more could you ask for? FIRST LOVE When I first saw the topic for this week's GBE2, my first thought was of the friendship I walked away from just last week. He was one of my first love's. But I had already talked about it on a previous web post so I wanted something different. I just didn't want to focus on it. Today, while I was doing dishes, a.k.a inspiring myself, I thought of a different first love. To myself. I do too. I love myself. I may not always like myself... I mean come on, if you had to live with her 24/7 she might drive you batty too. But I do love myself. People can tell you so. I don't need to. Well I did, but... I'm digressing. I'm quirky, crazy (two different things there obbb

The Blogging Lounge Prompt #1 January 8, 2014

When you've posted, you're welcome to come back here and share those links in the comments below. I will participate the same way and link my post (if I do one for the prompt) in the comments below. Though those of you who follow this blog, will get the blog post as normal, in the email, on this site, however you follow.  Feel free to save and share the image above. It's a square, which makes sharing on Instagram much easier. :) I can't wait to see how this inspires you. Join the Facebook Group and share the links within as well.