Skip to main content

Homemade Books - Book Binding - Lots of pictures

I've been playing around with learning how to bind my own books. It started with wanting to make a gratitude journal, rather than spending a lot of money on a new one. I found an old book cover, then looked up ways to bind a book, read up on the coptic stitch, and then found out some of my own books are bound using that method.

Finished it today (only took about an hour of my time) and then began thinking about making by hand, some hard copies of my books in general. That one is percolating. Here is my gratitude journal. I just have to decorate it. I plan to make more (because it's fun!) and will list them for sale. The size will depend on what old covers I've found. As well as the paper.

I'm also making little ones and will give those away. If you want a little one, just comment below. If I don't have an email, leave it so I can contact you. :)


The book this cover came from, lol. I was going to use this dust jacket, but then went meh. 


The pretty fabric that I used to cover the binding.



How it looks open. You'll see the edge of the fabric isn't perfect. I stared at it a while and went, nah. I like the rustic and non-perfect aspects of things like that. When I do homemade, I want it to resemble a homemade item. Rustic is what I go for. Hence my Old World Charm - Modern Living brand name.




Testing my papers to decide how much I wanted to crease them, and how many I needed. In this case I went a bit less than the width of the base book. That's so that if I insert anything that thickens the page, it won't be as big of deal.






 Finished! Now, as you can see, I didn't waste time to trim the edges flat. I like it like that. So rustic and nice. Who wants perfect? I found the book that I have that matches this. Below. Anne Rice's Merrick.

My inside cover. I went with just another piece of the paper I used inside, which meant it's not thick enough to hide the fabric over the binding, but again, meh.

I used a dark purple thread for the contrast and not only does it go with the grey cover, but I love the color.




Now below I have shots of some of my professionally done books for comparison.


Louis L'Amour's  Flint


Cool leather book, huh? 


They used a ivory-ish toned thread to hide amongst the pages.



  






Here's the Anne Rice Merrick book. Edges like I did.


And the binding for it.

Below is the small ones I've been working on as well. Little pocket books with recycled material. The pink is a magazine advertisement! lol.


 Cute!


I did the inside cover for this one so it'd look wrapped. The inside is made from a free notepad from Boys Club of America that my mom got for free for her donation I believe. If anyone wants that one, just ask and give me your email.

And then here is the link to my personal one that I made. http://instagram.com/p/l5R_JqqiA6/

I think I'm having too much fun. I do these while I watch TV.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentlemen….

Normally, right about now, I would feel inclined to continue with “and children of all ages” (guess I’ve been to the circus just one time too many) but this time instead of introducing some dancing bears or the Flying Wallendas, I’m simply here to introduce myself. My name is Tracie Dee . I’ve been writing for about 4 years now and got my start blogging on MySpace. I love writing but these days, I’m also finding enjoyment with vlogging. I have found that videos are a nice way to share what words alone might not give justice to and also for people to really get to know the person behind the words and the keyboard. Overall, I consider myself to be a pretty down to earth and upbeat person, whose sense of humor can be a bit wacky at times. Hey, life can be rough and sometimes laughter and levity can be our only saving grace to help us get through it all. I consider it to be our very own little light at the end of the tunnel that serves to remind us that even during the very worst

Bucket Lists

"Its never too late to be what you might have been" – George Eliot I’ve been a late bloomer in pretty much every aspect of my life. Some of it was out of my control (I mean I really couldn’t help if Mother Nature has a twisted sense of humor and exercised it heavily on me during my teens and twenties) but I can’t put all of the blame for it on her, either. Some of it was also by my personal choice. And by that, I mean I used to be very shy and afraid of “what was out there” in the big, scary world so I would rarely try anything new or took any chances of any kind. I chose instead to do my best to hide away from life, tucking myself away from it safely like a tight little rosebud that had not yet bloomed. But there is a quote that says “And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” This was the case for me. As time went on, my rosebud shell grew more and more uncomfortable for me. So one day I just took a c

Silent relaxing sunday--wait it's Saturday. A day lost and found! :)

This week's   GBE   is about "Lost and Found." I know a lot of people some years back thought that I'd lost myself. I was even told it was the better part of myself. It took me years to figure out that it wasn't true. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I always believed it to be true. Until I finally had the courage to admit to myself, that they were in the wrong; not me.  That's the problem with some "friends." They aren't really your friends. Someone recently told me something that really hit home. It was profound even.  She said:  "The friend is not a friend. just a person with emotional gravity in your life."    Well that's true. Granted, the comment she had made was from a completely different happening, but still it works.  A lot of people are fortunate in having tons of close friends, even close friends that stick around their entire lifetime. I gave up on that notion a long time ago. I realized that mostly, friends w