Skip to main content

We all do it.

I was working out in the yard the other day (my big inspiration time) and I couldn't help but think about relationships that we have with people.

I was thinking (I do that a lot I know) about how none of us really wants someone to build their lives around us and make us their entire happiness, or who we are, but then, isn't that what we end up doing?

Think about it. So many older couples, or couples who've been together longer than a year end up doing so much together and losing a huge part of themselves into relationships. I'm not talking about being co-dependent or anything like that mind you. Simply things we, in the beginning, fear the other person doing. After all, we all know that to be truly happy as a couple, you need to be happy separate from each other as well: having your own hobbies and interests, friends and relationships with others outside of each other.

But what's interesting to note is that when you are a part of a couple you do more things together alone, without friends; you end up compromising (some may call it sacrificing in the beginning, or the people who have a heavy desire not to be in relationships) on some things to keep the peace, or just to truly make each other happy because for you and them, it isn't something bad, but really, something which makes you happy to do so.

That's what's interesting about that however. Those are some of the very same things, that in the beginning of meeting someone, or getting into a relationship with them which will make us freak. out. We see someone placing too much of their happiness into our hands and we go eep! Well... come on. That's pretty much exactly what we'll end up doing. Going "eep!" Okay fine, maybe I do it.

Even more interesting is that the happiest older couples do tend to be mostly about their other half. They enjoy being with the other person (and fighting cutely--that's a real word I'm sure) and doing a lot of things together. They may certainly have their own hobbies and interests outside of each other, but they like being in the general vicinity of each other and placing a lot of their happiness in each other's hands. In other words, their hearts. I know my grandparents lived with each other, happily married, and play-fighting, until the day they each passed away. Though he tinkered in the garage, and she tinkered in the kitchen, (I also think it was their traditional values and way they lived with each other that helped) they were always right there with each other, happily living their lives together, and not being afraid of being together. Of placing their hearts and happiness in the hands of the other. Because without one another they felt a loss like nothing could ever replace. To the point where my own grandparents passed within months of each other. That is how in love with each other they were, and how much of their happiness was missing without the other.




So what is it that makes us fear the other person putting so much of their happiness in our hands? Why does the thought of that really scare us off most of the time? I know for me, it does. 


Hugs and kisses and more to come!
Till next time, stay tuned for more!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentlemen….

Normally, right about now, I would feel inclined to continue with “and children of all ages” (guess I’ve been to the circus just one time too many) but this time instead of introducing some dancing bears or the Flying Wallendas, I’m simply here to introduce myself. My name is Tracie Dee . I’ve been writing for about 4 years now and got my start blogging on MySpace. I love writing but these days, I’m also finding enjoyment with vlogging. I have found that videos are a nice way to share what words alone might not give justice to and also for people to really get to know the person behind the words and the keyboard. Overall, I consider myself to be a pretty down to earth and upbeat person, whose sense of humor can be a bit wacky at times. Hey, life can be rough and sometimes laughter and levity can be our only saving grace to help us get through it all. I consider it to be our very own little light at the end of the tunnel that serves to remind us that even during the very worst

Bucket Lists

"Its never too late to be what you might have been" – George Eliot I’ve been a late bloomer in pretty much every aspect of my life. Some of it was out of my control (I mean I really couldn’t help if Mother Nature has a twisted sense of humor and exercised it heavily on me during my teens and twenties) but I can’t put all of the blame for it on her, either. Some of it was also by my personal choice. And by that, I mean I used to be very shy and afraid of “what was out there” in the big, scary world so I would rarely try anything new or took any chances of any kind. I chose instead to do my best to hide away from life, tucking myself away from it safely like a tight little rosebud that had not yet bloomed. But there is a quote that says “And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” This was the case for me. As time went on, my rosebud shell grew more and more uncomfortable for me. So one day I just took a c

Silent relaxing sunday--wait it's Saturday. A day lost and found! :)

This week's   GBE   is about "Lost and Found." I know a lot of people some years back thought that I'd lost myself. I was even told it was the better part of myself. It took me years to figure out that it wasn't true. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I always believed it to be true. Until I finally had the courage to admit to myself, that they were in the wrong; not me.  That's the problem with some "friends." They aren't really your friends. Someone recently told me something that really hit home. It was profound even.  She said:  "The friend is not a friend. just a person with emotional gravity in your life."    Well that's true. Granted, the comment she had made was from a completely different happening, but still it works.  A lot of people are fortunate in having tons of close friends, even close friends that stick around their entire lifetime. I gave up on that notion a long time ago. I realized that mostly, friends w