Skip to main content

Critiques, errors, and praise oh my!

Have you found something wrong?
Want to give me some advice?
Found an error in a book?
Want to simply offer some praise?

If you have anything to say, don't hesitate to let me know. Please understand that when I say this, I truly mean it. One thing I'm good at is being honest, even if bluntly so. Tell me anything you might have issues with, anything that you find wrong, whether it is a grammatical error, or maybe I'm slipping too far into showing too much over telling. Or offer me some praise on a particular scene, character, or book in general.

It's hard for any author to be critical of their own work, me thinks. So I miss things. I admit my wrong when I find it, and will fix it. Sometimes I do purposely leave things alone and cross boundaries that others may not, or show more than tell and vice versa, but sometimes it's that I simply miss certain naughty grammar bits, or repeats. I am human and I make mistakes.

Under no circumstances should you ever worry about contacting me or that you'll get attacked or treated as anything but gracious. Whether you hate the stuff I write, or just one particular book over another, I am all right with that. I make it very clear that I don't go searching for reviews, and try to avoid reading them, whether they are good or bad, but that's because I don't want it to change the way I write.

I won't let someone change my voice, I won't allow a dramatic alterance of the story, but I want to hear what my fans have to say, I encourage it. We're all family here. We can hate each other one day, love each other the next, say things that piss each other off, but we're here for each other.

I always have an open-door policy. If I feel that I don't want to change certain things that alters it too much away from where I wanted it I won't, but at the same time, I always want to make sure I put out quality work. I plan on sticking around for a many years and won't be going anywhere. I still have plenty of ideas for books to write, so as I do, I always want to continue to learn and grow, get better with time. Especially if it means keeping the best parts that you enjoy, but I don't know what those are if you don't tell me.

That's where you come in. You are so important. More than you may realize.

I like to hear what you love, but to be honest, some of my best reviews have been the critiques. This isn't to say I encourage anyone to purposely message me to tell me if they hated a book, or to cut me down and inform me of how much they hate me. I don't tolerate unnecessary rudeness. It's simply to say the door is open and I love to hear what you have to say. Blunt advice is always welcome. I know how intimidating it can be to approach a writer/author/someone in the public eye, but my door is open.

It's because of all your support and awesome selves, I have an audience and I can truly enjoy what I do. Without my fans, I'm just someone writing books all by meself. So no matter how busy I get, whether I get so busy I don't have time to individually reply to each one of you (I sure hope that's never the case), always know that when you come to me, and chat with me, or share critiques and aspects of the books you didn't like: I listen. Always.

I try never to take things personal, but of course, any critique can get to be too much on certain days, or in certain moments. If it ever seems I don't hear you out, you're welcome to point that out. I can be wrong on quite a lot of things, but I don't ever mean to be rude or have it seem like I'm not listening. Even when it seems I'm not listening, I am.

I want to know what I'm doing wrong, and if you know how to fix it, I'll be listening. That's how I become a better writer, and you get better books to read. I study the craft every day, as well as things that may help with it, that have nothing to specifically do with writing. I can't become a great writer, without learning the hows of one. Even the business side of it.

You can contact me directly at ariana@arianabrowning.com to tell me all about the errors, or things you'd like to see more of, less of. Things that I left out, things I could improve upon, whatever you see fit. Can't grow if I don't hear it. Shoot, even if you do want to message and say I HATE YOUR BOOK, that's all right with me. You have every right to your opinion and I'll treat you just as graciously as I would someone writing to tell me they loved it. Promise you that.

You can use the contact me link on this site (above), the messages on social networks, or even just dropping the comment in the bits below. Unless I change comment systems (I really like the Disqus since you can login with your social accounts), the comments will stay. I would prefer them here, just so that it's a handy dandy list I can refer right back to time and again, see if I'm keeping track of my common issues and whatnot, but whatever works for you. :)

Final Note: Staring at a screen all day and sharing links, info, books, etc., without hearing anything in return can sometimes feel like I am talking to myself so it's always nice to have feedback of any kind. Truth is, being a writer can be lonely in certain moments since it's just me and the computer for hours and hours at a time. And this coming from a naturally independent individual.  

I wrote this to make sure people understood that I appreciate anything and everything you say regarding my books. Even the ones who don't like my books because there can still be something to learn there. I have nothing but praise and won't criticize anyone behind their back. After staring at a screen for hours on end all by myself, it's nice to have any feedback from anyone because it means you're out there listening and reading, and I love and appreciate you all for it. :)

I am truly grateful to all of you for your amazing support and help so far. And I thoroughly appreciate any and all critiques and contributions you continue to give, and will continue to give.

When I say my door is open, it's also to let you know that if you ever need an ear, I'm around.

♥ you all ♥

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentlemen….

Normally, right about now, I would feel inclined to continue with “and children of all ages” (guess I’ve been to the circus just one time too many) but this time instead of introducing some dancing bears or the Flying Wallendas, I’m simply here to introduce myself. My name is Tracie Dee . I’ve been writing for about 4 years now and got my start blogging on MySpace. I love writing but these days, I’m also finding enjoyment with vlogging. I have found that videos are a nice way to share what words alone might not give justice to and also for people to really get to know the person behind the words and the keyboard. Overall, I consider myself to be a pretty down to earth and upbeat person, whose sense of humor can be a bit wacky at times. Hey, life can be rough and sometimes laughter and levity can be our only saving grace to help us get through it all. I consider it to be our very own little light at the end of the tunnel that serves to remind us that even during the very worst

Bucket Lists

"Its never too late to be what you might have been" – George Eliot I’ve been a late bloomer in pretty much every aspect of my life. Some of it was out of my control (I mean I really couldn’t help if Mother Nature has a twisted sense of humor and exercised it heavily on me during my teens and twenties) but I can’t put all of the blame for it on her, either. Some of it was also by my personal choice. And by that, I mean I used to be very shy and afraid of “what was out there” in the big, scary world so I would rarely try anything new or took any chances of any kind. I chose instead to do my best to hide away from life, tucking myself away from it safely like a tight little rosebud that had not yet bloomed. But there is a quote that says “And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” This was the case for me. As time went on, my rosebud shell grew more and more uncomfortable for me. So one day I just took a c

Silent relaxing sunday--wait it's Saturday. A day lost and found! :)

This week's   GBE   is about "Lost and Found." I know a lot of people some years back thought that I'd lost myself. I was even told it was the better part of myself. It took me years to figure out that it wasn't true. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I always believed it to be true. Until I finally had the courage to admit to myself, that they were in the wrong; not me.  That's the problem with some "friends." They aren't really your friends. Someone recently told me something that really hit home. It was profound even.  She said:  "The friend is not a friend. just a person with emotional gravity in your life."    Well that's true. Granted, the comment she had made was from a completely different happening, but still it works.  A lot of people are fortunate in having tons of close friends, even close friends that stick around their entire lifetime. I gave up on that notion a long time ago. I realized that mostly, friends w