Skip to main content

You want to make a living with your writing?

Some very interesting things always pop up when people learn that you're a writer/author, or when talking to other writers/authors. One of the most obvious and common, is making a living at it. Getting paid, to put your words down on a piece of paper, whether it's digital, or physical.

Even I've said it. I want to make a living with my writing. i.e. I want to be able to afford to live off my writing, and have it pay the bills, groceries, etc.

Well, it's honestly pretty simple mathematics, or logistics, if you don't like math.

Ask yourself some questions:

How many hours do you work at your day-to-day 9-5 job? And you get paid a daily wage for it, yes?

Now, looking at that; how many hours do you spend on your writing? That's including marketing, editing, writing, formatting, talking about it with people, and all the rest?

Now, what if you were to ask your boss if you could cut your hours back to only doing it approximately one hour a day, or even one hour a week? But, you want the same pay, of course.

How well do you think that would go over?
Not so good, eh?

That's the biggest thing about making a living from your writing. If you want to get paid for your writing, and you're only putting in a smidgen of effort to it, then you can't expect for it to pay bills. I know a lot of you are saying, but I work a full-time job, I have no more time to put into it. We are all given 24 hours in a day. Look at the time you're spending doing other things that you can cut back on, or just put in a few minutes everyday to your writing, but you've got to be willing to put a lot more work into it, and that doesn't mean a lot more hours. Yes, I said hours above, but I mean work in general.

Just like anything else, you get out what you put into it. If you're not invested in your writing, your writing will not invest in you.

The other thing is time. It has been proven that most everything in life, not just in work, but in relationships, and everything else, that it takes an average of 2-3 years of putting in effort before you will see results. So if you're not putting in that effort, and somehow expect that you'll become a millionaire (not that it couldn't happen, but that is rare) overnight, it just won't happen.

I understand a lot of people who have made it overnight, and suddenly they are at the top of their game, but honestly, as much as I say WAY TO GO!! to them, the bottom line is that even they are putting in a lot of effort, or had been before the "overnight success" happened. It is extremely rare to truly hit the pay dirt overnight. Not just that, but you also have to realize that a lot of those same people 2-3 years from now? Won't be at the top of their game. A huge percentage, I would hazard to guess, will actually end up right back at the bottom of the pile if they don't continue to put in work, and make sure to stay where they're at. We're all subject to be one hit wonders.

When you're talking about writing a book, unless that one book is all you ever plan on writing, and you don't care one way or another about continuing to earn off of it, don't put everything you have into one.  In John Locke's Book, How I Sold 1 Million eBooks in 5 Months, he discusses how it actually pays off to hold off your heavy marketing strategies, and hard-core hunting for fans to read your work, until you've got at least 5 books out, and available for purchase. I agree, and disagree, only in that a lot of us can't afford to wait until we've gotten that many done and out, but it is a good strategy, even still. It's important to try to get a couple (I will be more lenient) of books up, before you market, but you can still market, and talk about it, just try to let others know that more are coming. But be understanding, that a lot of people won't wait. They don't like to. That's the world we live in. However, if you build it up, and let them know that more are coming, and as fast as you can get them up, then you also can build up steam for them so that by the time they are out--I  like to keep people up-to-date on my progress which helps--people will be clamoring to get them. Just think about the lines waiting for favorite concert tickets, movies, etc. Hype was built before those things came out, and were released.

What a lot of people should try to understand, is that if you truly want to make a living at your writing: you can. But remember the age old wisdom. You will only get out of it, what you put into it. If you're not willing to throw yourself into it, and dedicate all the hard work, time, effort, headaches, and frustration that goes into it? You're not going to earn much.

Life will pay you what you're worth. It's up to you to show it what you are. Ariana Browning
Tweet This!

Comments

  1. I couldn't agree with you more! I've only been e-publishing my work for little over a year and I've (slowly) discovered that putting out a lot of books is key, especially when you're writing a series. Thumbs up for an excellent post, A.H. Browne!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentlemen….

Normally, right about now, I would feel inclined to continue with “and children of all ages” (guess I’ve been to the circus just one time too many) but this time instead of introducing some dancing bears or the Flying Wallendas, I’m simply here to introduce myself. My name is Tracie Dee . I’ve been writing for about 4 years now and got my start blogging on MySpace. I love writing but these days, I’m also finding enjoyment with vlogging. I have found that videos are a nice way to share what words alone might not give justice to and also for people to really get to know the person behind the words and the keyboard. Overall, I consider myself to be a pretty down to earth and upbeat person, whose sense of humor can be a bit wacky at times. Hey, life can be rough and sometimes laughter and levity can be our only saving grace to help us get through it all. I consider it to be our very own little light at the end of the tunnel that serves to remind us that even during the very worst

Bucket Lists

"Its never too late to be what you might have been" – George Eliot I’ve been a late bloomer in pretty much every aspect of my life. Some of it was out of my control (I mean I really couldn’t help if Mother Nature has a twisted sense of humor and exercised it heavily on me during my teens and twenties) but I can’t put all of the blame for it on her, either. Some of it was also by my personal choice. And by that, I mean I used to be very shy and afraid of “what was out there” in the big, scary world so I would rarely try anything new or took any chances of any kind. I chose instead to do my best to hide away from life, tucking myself away from it safely like a tight little rosebud that had not yet bloomed. But there is a quote that says “And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” This was the case for me. As time went on, my rosebud shell grew more and more uncomfortable for me. So one day I just took a c

Silent relaxing sunday--wait it's Saturday. A day lost and found! :)

This week's   GBE   is about "Lost and Found." I know a lot of people some years back thought that I'd lost myself. I was even told it was the better part of myself. It took me years to figure out that it wasn't true. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I always believed it to be true. Until I finally had the courage to admit to myself, that they were in the wrong; not me.  That's the problem with some "friends." They aren't really your friends. Someone recently told me something that really hit home. It was profound even.  She said:  "The friend is not a friend. just a person with emotional gravity in your life."    Well that's true. Granted, the comment she had made was from a completely different happening, but still it works.  A lot of people are fortunate in having tons of close friends, even close friends that stick around their entire lifetime. I gave up on that notion a long time ago. I realized that mostly, friends w