Skip to main content

Are you too thin and not smart enough?


Saw this the other day.

Now, as I know the woman behind the article, I have to say first that I completely agree with her views, and respect them.

That being said, I have to say, as someone who looks like that right picture, and as "thin" to a lot of people: it isn't ANY better, or do you receive less criticisms when you're thin versus overweight, and it's not always a bad thing to be thin, nor to be 'fat.' Been on both sides of this issue myself as I was nearly 200 lbs once. Now, I do understand that most people consider thin to be unhealthy, but it isn't always. AND I have that body? But I weigh 150 lbs. That's right. I just said my weight. Publicly. :) And I used to look like that left picture, now I look like the left one and I weigh 150 lbs.

That body takes work to maintain, achieve, and continue to keep. HEALTHILY. I do not starve myself (ask anyone who knows how much I eat, or what I eat for that matter), nor do I work out 24/7 (lately I've been too exhausted, and too busy, to even work out). Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and still being told 'you're thin enough.' As though one has the right to criticize someone for their body? Don't forget, as bad as losing weight just to be thin is, being too thin is unhealthy, and all that; some of us who ARE thin? Did it FOR their health, and you really need to get to know a person before you automatically assume "thin" girls have it easier.

I love my body, I love how it feels, how it looks, and I wouldn't change the strength of it for anything, but more importantly, I love when I can run up and down the stairs and NOT have a near heart attack like once before. This isn't an attack on the one who wrote the article at all, but the people who criticize those who are "too thin" or "too fat." HEALTHY body weight differs for everyone. My healthy weight is 140-150. My body will not allow me to be lower and stay that way and I can't go higher and feel good about myself because I'm not comfortable being heavy; I never was. I'm also 5'7". If you lose weight for the wrong reasons, or gain it for bad ones too, that is NOT healthy, but lay off the thin girls as though they have it easier. They don't always.

I do agree with the article writer in that people definitely need to focus more on the behind-the-scenes attributes of a person, but in a society where beauty is still important, how about we focus more on acceptance of oneself, and being healthy period? Whatever weight that may be, and whatever looks that one may have. Acceptance of oneself, and of others, is the BETTER practice. Teaching one to do things which are healthy for the body is another. Not necessarily healthy eating either since I have the most terrible eating habits of anyone, but I take care of my body in other ways. What do you think?


http://healyourselfmagazine.com/the-thinspo-controversy/

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies and Gentlemen….

Normally, right about now, I would feel inclined to continue with “and children of all ages” (guess I’ve been to the circus just one time too many) but this time instead of introducing some dancing bears or the Flying Wallendas, I’m simply here to introduce myself. My name is Tracie Dee . I’ve been writing for about 4 years now and got my start blogging on MySpace. I love writing but these days, I’m also finding enjoyment with vlogging. I have found that videos are a nice way to share what words alone might not give justice to and also for people to really get to know the person behind the words and the keyboard. Overall, I consider myself to be a pretty down to earth and upbeat person, whose sense of humor can be a bit wacky at times. Hey, life can be rough and sometimes laughter and levity can be our only saving grace to help us get through it all. I consider it to be our very own little light at the end of the tunnel that serves to remind us that even during the very worst

Bucket Lists

"Its never too late to be what you might have been" – George Eliot I’ve been a late bloomer in pretty much every aspect of my life. Some of it was out of my control (I mean I really couldn’t help if Mother Nature has a twisted sense of humor and exercised it heavily on me during my teens and twenties) but I can’t put all of the blame for it on her, either. Some of it was also by my personal choice. And by that, I mean I used to be very shy and afraid of “what was out there” in the big, scary world so I would rarely try anything new or took any chances of any kind. I chose instead to do my best to hide away from life, tucking myself away from it safely like a tight little rosebud that had not yet bloomed. But there is a quote that says “And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” This was the case for me. As time went on, my rosebud shell grew more and more uncomfortable for me. So one day I just took a c

Silent relaxing sunday--wait it's Saturday. A day lost and found! :)

This week's   GBE   is about "Lost and Found." I know a lot of people some years back thought that I'd lost myself. I was even told it was the better part of myself. It took me years to figure out that it wasn't true. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I always believed it to be true. Until I finally had the courage to admit to myself, that they were in the wrong; not me.  That's the problem with some "friends." They aren't really your friends. Someone recently told me something that really hit home. It was profound even.  She said:  "The friend is not a friend. just a person with emotional gravity in your life."    Well that's true. Granted, the comment she had made was from a completely different happening, but still it works.  A lot of people are fortunate in having tons of close friends, even close friends that stick around their entire lifetime. I gave up on that notion a long time ago. I realized that mostly, friends w